TOWN OF WILLIAMSTOWN
MEMBERS: Larry Hebert – Chair, Bill Ashe – Vice Chair, Rodney Graham, Francis Covey, Art Stone
MANAGER – Jacqueline Higgins
Duke, Mike Sprano, Kathleen Lott – Northfield News
Called to order at 7:05 by L. Hebert.
Announcements - None
VISITOR’S COMMENTS: (MAXIMUM OF 3 MINUTES PER PERSON, PER TOPIC)
1. CHAIR & VICE CHAIR - F. Covey nominated L. Hebert to be Chair, seconded by A.
Stone, and so voted with R. Graham voting no. R. Graham nominated B. Ashe to be vice
chair, seconded by F. Covey, and so voted.
2. MEETING SCHEDULE – B. Ashe made the motion to set the meeting schedule to the First
and Third Monday of every month at 7:00 p.m. at the Williamstown Middle High School
Library, seconded by F. Covey, and so voted.
3. APPROVE ROBERTS RULES OF ORDER FOR SMALL BOARDS – R. Graham made the
motion to follow Robert’s Rules of Order for small boards, seconded F. Covey, and so voted.
4. BOARD MEMBER TO APPROVE WARRANTS BETWEEN MEETINGS - After much
discussion and the mention of 24 VSA 1623 and 24 VSA 1141, B. Ashe made the motion
that the Chair & Vice Chair can sign orders already approved by the Board, seconded by F.
Covey, the motion was then amended to state specifically payroll in case the Board is unable
to meet, and so voted.
5. DESIGNATE NEWSPAPER FOR LEGAL NOTICES & ADVERTISING - F. Covey made
the motion to designate The Times Argus, and also the Northfield News & The World as
needed, seconded by B. Ashe, and so voted.
6. DESIGNATE PLACES FOR POSTING OF AGENDA & NOTICES – F. Covey made the
motion to designate the following places for posting of agenda & notices: Pump & Pantry,
Depot & Main, Behind the Scenes, Randolph National Bank, Inside & Outside the Town
Hall, and the High school, seconded by B. Ashe, and so voted. M. Sprano had questions on
when the agenda and Selectboard packet would be available. L. Hebert said that it would
be available on Friday afternoon. Unapproved minutes are available for viewing and/or
purchase 5 days after a Selectboard meeting.
7. BOARD APPOINTMENTS – B. Ashe made the motion to accept the Board appointments as
presented, seconded by F. Covey, and so voted. A list of the appointments is attached to the
end of the minutes.
R. Graham made the motion to disband the Transportation Committee and have the Selectboard take over as the Vermont Statutes say it should be, seconded by F. Covey. B. Ashe noted that the Transportation Committee is not a decision making board and
he likes their input. The motion passed with B. Ashe voting no.
F. Covey made the motion to appoint R. Graham as the parade coordinator, seconded by B. Ashe and so voted with R.
Graham abstaining. R. Graham noted that he will need help and that it will be held Memorial Day Weekend.
REVIEW & APPROVAL:
1. WARRANTS - R. Graham made a motion to approve payroll 2/26/12-3/10/12, and SB131.
Seconded by B. Ashe, R. Graham amended to motion to reduce the payroll by $20.25 for a
check in error, seconded by B. Ashe, and so voted.
2. MINUTES – R. Graham made a motion to approve March 5 minutes, seconded by F. Covey,
and so voted.
REPORTS – MANAGER REPORT
1. The link to the video for the Selectboard meetings is up and running.
2. Illicit discharge grant has been submitted.
3. Planning Commission would like to come to the next Selectboard meeting.
4. Mud Season – all roads were posted in February. Together with the Supervisory Union it
was decided to close all back roads to busses until at least Wednesday, and then it will be
taken on a day to day basis. F. Covey mentioned that the curtain drain on Hebert road seems
to be better than it has been in the past. C. Peloquin asked if there was a plan for the roads
as he has never seen all the roads closed to busses in the past. He also noted that the letter
that was sent home from school said that the decision to stop bussing on back roads had been
done by the Town only. R. Graham noted the need for better road maintenance planning.
J. Higgins noted that she has sat down with the Road Foreman and they have developed a
ditching schedule and a road repair schedule for the summer.
1. GRADER BIDS - The Town sent out specs to 3 companies and placed a notice in the paper
requesting grader bids. The Town received bids from 2 companies and they are as follows:
Volvo 946 $232,495 Trade In $35,000 5 year extended warranty $8,652.60 Total $206,147.60
John Deere 772 $249,655.03 Trade in $37,000 5 year extended warranty $7,563 Total $220,218.03
Volvo 976 $271,495 Trade in $35,000 5 year extended warranty $8,652 Total $245,745.60
John Deere 872 $289,993.83 Trade In $37,000 5 year extended warranty $7,563 Total $260,556.83
The Grader Bid Committee recommends the Volvo 946. R. Graham made the motion to accept the bid for the Volvo 946, seconded by F. Covey. There was much discussion about weights and specs. A. Stone voiced his concern over trading in the grader. He thinks we should keep it as a back-up. C. Peloquin volunteered his services for maintenance work.
The vote passed with A. Stone voting no.
1. M. Sprano – Asked about when the Selectboard packet would be ready and he was told again
that it would be Friday afternoon.
2. R. Cleaves – Asked if anything had been done about getting an auditor for this year. It is believed W. Yaccavoni is not doing it this year. C. Peloquin asked why. J. Higgins reported it was personal and had nothing to do with the Town.
AROUND THE TABLE:
R. Graham – South Hill is very muddy.
Art Stone – nothing
F. Covery – The welcome to Williamstown on the North end of town is listing to one side.
B. Ashe - Talked about mailing with the White River office closing.
L. Hebert - Asked C. Peloquin to speak to his father about the emails to the Town Manager.
R. Graham made the motion to adjourn the Selectboard portion of the meeting and enter into the Water/
Sewer Commissioners portion of the meeting at 9:00 p.m, seconded by F. Covey and so voted.
1. Abatement request – VHFA – Clark & Delong- Parcel ID 006/001.00 $2829.87. &. Parcel
ID 006/001.81 - Tatro $3066.87. R. Graham made the motion to abate the aforementioned accounts,
seconded by B. Ashe, and so voted.
R. Graham made a motion to adjourn at 9:0pm, seconded by F. Covey, and so voted.